Mouth/Night Guards Near You
A mouth guard is a dental device worn to prevent and reduce damage to the teeth and surrounding tissues. Mouth guards are often worn by patients who participate in contact sports and can also effectively treat bruxism or TMD. They are designed to fit snugly over the teeth, protecting them from trauma and preserving their aesthetic appearance.
What Are The Different Types of Mouth Guards?
Dentists recommend patients receive custom-fitted mouth guards in Dearborn, MI, as they provide adequate protection. The three basic types of mouthguards include:
1. Stock Mouth Guards: these types of mouth guards come pre-formed and are not adjustable in terms of fit. Stock mouth guards provide minimum protection and are worn as sports guards. They are generally inexpensive and can be purchased at sporting or drug stores.
2. Boil and Bite Mouth Guards: these types of mouth guards can offer a more secure fit than stock mouth guards because they take the shape of the mouth. A boil-and-bite mouth guard is made from thermoplastic plastic material, which softens when placed in hot water.
3. Custom-fitted Mouth Guards: these mouth guards fit the mouth securely and provide the most comfort and protection. Custom-fitted mouthguards are designed by a dental technician based on impressions taken of the teeth. These mouthguards are worn by patients with night-time teeth clenching or grinding. They are also recommended to patients who participate in contact sports. Custom-fitted mouthguards cover all the teeth and can cushion falls and blows to the chin. If you are interested in custom-fitted mouthguards near you, contact us today!
Why Are Mouth Guards Worn?
Mouth guards can limit the risk of mouth-related injuries, which include:
- Cheek lesions
- Lip lesions
- Tongue lesions
- Gum and soft tissue injuries
- Neck injuries
- Jawbone fractures
- Chipped or broken teeth
- Nerve damage
- Teeth clenching or grinding (bruxism and TMD)
Are you looking for mouthguards near you? We offer mouthguards in Dearborn, MI.